While teaching my design workshop last week somehow the subject of bad or ruined pieces came up. I told my students if you could only see my "bone pile"...the pieces that have gone wrong while working on them. Not everything I do comes out beautiful...I throw SO much stuff away. But other "bones" are worth keeping to work on at a later date. This piece is one of those
About three years ago I started working on this gorgeous linen and due to "I have no idea what happened" it was a mess. The whole outside border went wonky on me and I was certain it was beyond anything in my power to fix. So in a fit of frustration one night I took my rotary cutter to it and cut off about 18" all the way around. GASP! Did I reeeeaaaallllllyyyy just do that??? Yep.
Well, now that "Cinderella" is done, rather than start something brand new I started digging thru my bone pile of half-finished/half-destroyed projects and this one poked it's head out and said "it's time to finish me now". So I painstakingly ripped out all the embroidery...
I found a beautiful vintage Battenburg lace hankie that fit the bill to cover up the disaster I had created in the middle. I put Bosal stabilizer on the back to make it more stable. Notice that I extended the stabilizer to include the Battenburg lace. This will help protect it during the quilting process so I hopefully don't snag it on something. Once I'm done quilting I will carefully trim the stabilizer back to the solid linen leaving the lace exposed.
Sticking with my original idea of a design from Elly's book I found this beautiful design and enlarged it to a whopping 2 1/2". This will be quilted in the middle and the whole unit placed on top of the mess. I will quilt a pretty background on the hankie once everything is set and then add beads of course.
Big Hugs, Cindy :)